We’re here to demystify essential oils for you--to tell you about them in simple layman’s terms so that you can be confident in what they are, how they help you, and how to best employ them to live your best natural life!
We are Amanda May-Fitzgerald,RA and Denise Radcliffe, two highly trained aromatherapists, and we are delighted to be working with Savhera to teach you a thing or two about these powerful substances known as essential oils. What’s better is that we get to do it with a company whose essential oils we LOVE and whose mission we believe in!
Ok, let’s get started with the top ten things you should know about essential oils.
- Essential oils may be found in the leaf, stem, flower, bark, root, or seed of a plant.
- Essential oils are distilled differently depending on the plant and the part of the plant being processed. For example, there is cold pressed (for citrus peels), steam distillation, hydro-distillation, and cohobation, among others.
- Essential oils are highly volatile substances, meaning they evaporate quickly, and this is what makes them different from carrier oils.
- On that note, essential oils are NOT the same as carrier oils (e.g., olive oil, coconut oil, almond oil, rosehip oil, etc.)! More on this next week.
- Dilution is key! Essential oils need to be diluted with a carrier oil prior to application on the skin!
- Essential oils must be stored in dark bottles and at room temperature in order to maintain their quality.
- Overuse of essential oils can cause sensitization, meaning using one kind too often can create an allergic reaction. Some essential oils have phototoxic properties, meaning you have to be careful about using them if you’re going to be in the sun (e.g., lemon)!
- Essential oils are highly concentrated substances! Think about this for a second...it takes 2000 rose petals to make one drop of rose essential oil!
- They should always be kept out of reach of children.
- Quality is paramount! There are a lot of very poor quality essential oils on the market and a lot of companies that do not publish the test results that report on the chemical composition, ergo the quality of the oil. Be wary of these oils and do not use them on your body! How do you know if their quality? Find our GC/MS test results on our website for every single batch of our oils.
The bottom line is that essential oils are powerful allies we can use to live a natural lifestyle. And what’s better is that Savhera provides you with organic oils, educates you on how to use them, AND offers you the opportunity to ally yourself with human trafficking survivors as they reclaim their lives!
We’re excited to be on this journey with you! Our promise is to provide you with accurate and reliable information on essential oils every week so that we can all diffuse more oils and more dignity every day. Let’s get started!