Lemon essential oil not only smells bright and refreshing. It has powerful properties that are believed to help with issues ranging from exhaustion to household bacteria.
- Mood improvement: At least one study suggests that lemon essential oil may play a part in improving symptoms related to anxiety and depression. While essential oils should never take the place of professional treatment or medication, essential oils such as lemon can have a positive effect on emotions when used in aromatherapy. Try diffusing lemon essential oil when you need a mood lift.
- Help with congestion: Lemon essential oil is thought to help the respiratory system work effectively and may help relieve symptoms related to the common cold or allergies. Inhaling lemon oil is also thought to relieve sore throat symptoms. That’s why we use lemon oil as one of the powerhouse ingredients in our Open Airways respiratory blend. The antioxidants and vitamin C naturally present in lemon help you feel your best. We recommend diffusing lemon essential oil in your home whenever your respiratory system could use a boost.
- Brainpower boost: Some studies show that lemon essential oil can help improve mental clarity and concentration. Try diffusing lemon essential oil while working or studying.
- Acne treatment: Because of its bacteria-fighting powers, lemon essential oil can be used as a natural treatment for acne. Just remember to never apply lemon oil directly to your skin as it is very strong and could burn or irritate skin. You can dilute lemon oil by adding a few drops to your moisturizer or a skin-friendly oil or butter. Lemon essential oil can cause chemical burns when exposed to UV rays, so you should never apply lemon oil before sun exposure. If you want to use lemon essential oil as an acne treatment, use it before bedtime and wash it off the next day.
- Antifungal ointment: Lemon essential oil has natural antifungal properties, making it a convenient essential oil to have on hand! Studies suggest that lemon oil is effective in treating athlete’s foot and thrush. Just mix lemon oil with a mild carrier such as shea butter or sweet almond oil and apply to the affected area.