Keeping our homes clean is a challenge. Our bodies work hard enough to stay healthy as it is without the added trial of cleaning our homes each week with powerful cleaning products. The harsh chemicals contained in many cleaning products can make it difficult to breathe after repeated exposure to the products, as well as watery eyes, skin irritation and headaches.
Essential oils are a great alternative to store bought chemical cleaning products because they are all-natural and can be diluted according to each individual’s tolerance. With just a few simple ingredients, you can easily make your own all-purpose cleaner that promotes wellness of mind and body.
Ingredients and Materials
To make your own all-purpose cleaner with essential oils, you will need:
- A 16 oz or quart sized glass bottle - Glass is recommended because essential oils can degrade plastic
- 1/2 cup of white vinegar - Vinegar contains natural antibacterial and antifungal properties that can clean grease and tough stains. Note: we do not use vinegar on marble.
- 1 cup of distilled water
- 20-30 drops of essential oils of your choice
- OPTIONAL: 1 tablespoon of natural dish or castile soap OR baking soda - Soap or baking soda can both be used in your homemade cleaning products. The water and vinegar dilute the ingredients. Baking soda is excellent for cleaning carpets, while soap can help cleanse surfaces
- Other ingredients you can add as desired to your all-purpose cleaner include witch hazel, vodka, rubbing alcohol or olive oil.
Best essential oils for cleaning:
- Sonia's Shield- Our immunity blend is fortified with antibacterial, antimicrobial oils and features a comforting, warm scent
- Lemon - The ideal oil for cleaning the toughest, grimiest messes as well as countertops, sinks, furniture, and much more.
- Lavender - Antimicrobial, antiseptic and antiallergenic, lavender also has a refreshing and calming effect
- Orange - Like lemon, orange is great for deep cleaning and has the benefit of being refreshing and rejuvenating.
- Rosemary - This oil has a clean, pleasant fragrance that pairs well with any of these oils and has natural antibacterial and antiseptic properties.
- Peppermint - In addition to being refreshing, peppermint is antibacterial, anti fungal, antimicrobial and antiseptic, as well as antiallergenic and anti-asthmatic.
- Tea Tree - Another staple oil, tea tree is perfect for cleaning those most stubborn of areas.
Any combination of these oils is sure to have the desired effect of keeping your home clean AND smelling amazing.
Simply combine the desired ingredients, shake well, then spritz the spray onto the problem area and scrub or allow the mixture to sit for a minute.