With DIY body wash, you can reduce single-use plastics, avoid harmful ingredients and synthetics, save money, and choose the wellness benefits you want!
- 1 cup pure liquid castile soap
- ½ cup shea butter, cocoa butter, or coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons vegetable glycerin
- 1 tablespoon apricot oil (you can also use jojoba or olive oil but it doesn’t absorb into skin as quickly so you might be left with a slightly oily sensation on your skin – but this is great if you’re suffering from dry skin)
- 1 tablespoon aloe vera gel (this is optional, but great if you’re looking for extra softness and moisture. Plus it soothes skin irritations and sunburn!)
- 12-15 drops essential oils of your choice (see suggestions below)
- 1 microwave-safe bowl
- 1 mixing bowl
- Stirring utensil
- 16 oz. bottle (this is a great time to reuse an empty hand soap, shower gel, or shampoo bottle)
- Funnel (optional)
- Put the shea butter/cocoa butter/coconut oil in the microwave for 30-second intervals until liquified. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Mix the apricot oil, aloe (if using), and glycerin in a separate bowl.
- Add the cooled liquid shea butter/cocoa butter/coconut oil. Mix well.
- Add essential oils and mix.
- Pour this mixture into the bottle using a funnel (the funnel helps reduce bubbles, but isn’t necessary). Add the castile soap to the bottle. Close the bottle and swirl well to mix.
- Your DIY body wash is ready to use!
Which Essential Oils to Use for DIY Body Wash?
Choose the essential oils based on your favorite scents and skin care needs. If you need some help getting started, here are some of our favorite combos for DIY body wash:
- Fresh and Uplifting: Rosemary, Lemon, and Peppermint
- Soothing and Calming: Lavender & Frankincense (this combo is great for sensitive skin, or if you have a rash or razor burn)
- Itchy Skin Relief: Tea Tree, Eucalyptus, Peppermint, and Lavender
- Earthy and Grounding: Cedarwood, Frankincense, Oregano, and Orange
- Bacne Banishing: Rosemary, Tea Tree, Oregano, & Lavender
- Bacne Prevention: Lemon, Lemongrass, and Tea Tree
- Balance Oily Skin: Frankincense & Rosemary