Sometimes we need to take a day to get away. When life overwhelms us, it’s important to take some time to ourselves and for very little money or hassle, you can use essential oils to treat yourself to a spa day at home! All of these materials can be found at your local grocery stores such as olive oil, sugar, coconut oil, epsom salt, himalayan pink salt, etc.
Here are some ways you can have your own DIY spa day!
No spa day is complete without a good foot scrub! Thankfully, it’s easy to make your own foot scrub with essential oils that will leave your skin feeling smooth and rejuvenated.
You will need:
- 1 ½ cups of sea salt or epsom salt
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 8 drops of tea tree oil
- 8 drops of lavender essential oil
- 5 drops of peppermint essential oil
- First, blend the salt, olive oil and coconut oil together in a medium to large bowl.
- Add the essential oils and mix well.
- Transfer the mixture to a jar with a tight fitting lid and store in a cool, dark place.
DIY bath salts
Bath salts are a fantastic way to exhale and exfoliate at the same time. You can pour them in your bath water or use them to gently scrub your skin.
You will need:
- ½ cup epsom salts
- ½ cup sea salt
- ½ cup baking soda
- 10-15 drops of essential oil
- Combine the ingredients together in a bowl. Add your choice of essential oils last. We recommend about 10 drops per cup of the salt mixture.
- Scoop the mixture into a jar.
Making your own soap is a fun, relaxing activity that is both fun and functional!
You will need:
- A silicone soap mold
- 1 lbs. of shea butter soap base or plain, unscented castile soap
- 30 drops of essential oils of your choice
- You can also include lemon zest, dried lavender or poppy seeds!
- Cut the soap base into pieces.
- Place the pieces in a microwave safe container and heat according to the package directions. Once the soap is melted it will begin to harden immediately around the edges of the bowl.
- Add 10 drops of essential oil and stir to combine. Continue to add up to 30 drops of essential oils and additional ingredients as preferred.
- Pour melted soap into the molds and allow them to sit for at least 45 minutes.
- When the soap is set, remove the bars from the molds and store them in a cool, dry place.
Hair Mask- DIY from Essential Oil Haven
- 2 tablespoons Coconut oil (for curly hair, Olive Oil, is lighter and won’t bring down curls)
- 2 egg whites
- 5 – 10 drops Lavender essential oil
- Combine Coconut oils and egg whites and blend.
- Add Essential Oils last and blend again until it is a smooth texture.
- Dampen your hair, spread evenly throughout, especially the ends.
- Cover with a shower cap or towel.
- Leave in for 30 minutes and wash out with a natural shampoo and conditioner
- For the best results, use once a week.
For more at-home spa day ideas, check out this article