If you’re tired of ingredients you can’t pronounce, it's time to try this DIY chest rub with essential oils! Store-bought chest and vapor rubs can contain ingredients that aren’t good for your body. For example, many pharmacy chest rubs contain petroleum. While often advertised as a moisturizer, petroleum doesn’t actually add moisture to your skin. It only creates a barrier that keeps moisture from leaving your skin. Unfortunately, this barrier also traps dirt, toxins, and contaminants. This DIY recipe replaces pointless and potentially harmful petroleum with naturally moisturizing botanical ingredients such as olive and coconut oils.
Store-bought vapor rubs also often contain camphor – a synthetic derived from menthol and turpentine. Turpentine is a toxic substance that can be lethal if ingested and can cause airway irritations if inhaled. Why would you add irritation to your airways if you’re already congested or coughing? Instead of camphor, this DIY chest rub uses eucalyptus and peppermint to relieve congestion. Leave the synthetics behind and let powerful plants do the work! Savhera essential oils are 100% pure and USDA-certified organic – nothing but botanicals for your skin!
This chest rub recipe uses some of nature’s best medicines. Eucalyptus essential oil is antimicrobial and a natural expectorant – perfect for lungs that need a little help breathing. Peppermint contains all-natural menthol – no synthetic versions like camphor! Pure botanical menthol is cooling, soothing, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory. (Peppermint and Eucalyptus are two of the star ingredients in our best-selling Open Airways blend!) Rosemary contains natural antioxidants and also works as an anti-inflammatory agent. Not to mention that rosemary can help you focus – important when you’re suffering from the grogginess and fatigue that colds often cause. Lavender is calming and relaxing – helping your body get the rest you need when recovering from a cold or cough.
This all-natural, toxin-free, synthetic-free recipe helps you breathe better, heal faster, and smells amazing! You can substitute candelilla wax for the beeswax for a 100% vegan recipe. (Savhera essential oils are always cruelty-free and vegan by the way!) Any time you’re replacing beeswax with candelilla wax, you just need to cut the amount in half. For example, if a recipe calls for 2 tbsp. beeswax, you only need 1 tbsp. candelilla wax.
DIY Chest Rub Ingredients:
- 2 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup grated beeswax (make it vegan by substituting 2 tablespoons candelilla wax for the beeswax)
- 12 drops of eucalyptus essential oil
- 10 drops peppermint essential oil
- 5 drops lavender essential oil
- 5 drops rosemary essential oil
- A small container – such as an upcycled lip balm tin or tiny jar.
- Melt the coconut oil, olive oil, and wax in a double boiler while stirring constantly.
- Once melted, remove from heat and add the essential oils.
- Pour into your container and let set.
- Your DIY chest rub is ready to use! Rub onto your throat, chest, and under your nose whenever you’re suffering from congestion or a cough. It also works great as a balm for sore muscles or feet!
Makes 4 ounces