Shiny, thick, healthy hair doesn’t have to come with a hefty price tag, hard-to-find ingredients, or potential toxins. You can bring out your hair’s natural beauty with a simple, all-natural DIY recipe! This homemade hair serum helps restore your hair’s natural luster while also preventing hair from thinning and breaking. With essential oils that promote scalp health and faster hair growth, this DIY hair serum smells amazing and helps you look amazing!
Recipe for All-Natural Hair Serum
Ingredients and Supplies:
- 2-ounce glass dropper bottle
- 2 ounces of hair growth boosting carrier oil – great options for hair health include castor oil, argan oil, avocado oil, coconut oil, olive oil, almond oil, or grapeseed oil.
- 20 drops of hair-healthy essential oils of your choice (see below!)
- Pour 2 ounces (or a little less to allow room to shake) of your carrier oil into your dropper bottle. Add the essential oils. Put on the dropper lid and shake well. Apply to wet hair once a day and massage into your scalp. Wait 20 minutes and then wash out the serum.
Which Essential Oils to Use for Hair Serum?
The great thing about this DIY recipe is that you can mix and match the essential oils according to your preferences and your hair’s needs. Here are a few essential oils that help promote hair and scalp health:
- Rosemary essential oil – rosemary can help increase hair thickness and growth because it encourages cellular generation. Rosemary is also thought to help reduce scalp irritation or itchiness.
- Lavender essential oil – lavender can help generate cell growth by reducing stress, and it promotes scalp health because of its antimicrobial and antibacterial properties.
- Peppermint essential oil – besides promoting hair growth, peppermint has a soothing, cooling effect on the skin, making it perfect for anyone who is dealing with an itchy scalp!
- Cedarwood essential oil – because it can balance oil-producing glands, cedarwood is believed to boost hair growth and help prevent hair loss. Cedarwood also contains antifungal and antibacterial properties, which can treat conditions such as dandruff or hair loss.
- Lemongrass essential oil – because of its effectiveness as a dandruff treatment, lemongrass is a great addition to natural hair products.
- Tea Tree essential oil – tea tree oil has powerful cleansing, antibacterial, and antimicrobial properties. Tea tree oil can increase hair growth because of its ability to unclog hair follicles. Tea tree is commonly used in anti-dandruff treatment products.
Here’s to enjoying healthy, happy hair without the high price tag and questionable ingredients of many store-bought hair products! Shine on!